- Meat and poultry
- Slow cooker beef
This is an easy, family and budget friendly supper that everyone will love. This can also be done in a slow cooker - see the footnote!
1039 people made this
- 900g lean minced beef
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 700ml water
- 2 (500g) cartons passata
- 2 (400g) tins chopped tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons dried Italian herbs
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon seasoned salt, or to taste
- 200g uncooked macaroni
MethodPrep:15min ›Cook:1hr5min ›Ready in:1hr20min
- In a large casserole, cook and stir the minced beef over medium-high heat, breaking the meat up as it cooks, until the meat is no longer pink and has started to brown, about 10 minutes. Skim off excess fat, and stir in the onions and garlic. Cook and stir the meat mixture until the onions are translucent, about 10 more minutes.
- Stir in water, passata, tomatoes, soy sauce, Italian herbs, bay leaves and seasoned salt, and bring the mixture to the boil over medium heat. Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the macaroni, cover and simmer over low heat until the pasta is tender, about 25 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat, discard bay leaves, and serve.
For slow cooker, preheat a slow cooker set on High heat. Make recipe through Step 1; place the mince-onion mixture into the preheated slow cooker. Stir in water, passata, tomatoes, soy sauce, Italian herbs, bay leaves, seasoned salt and macaroni until thoroughly combined. Cook on High for 1 hour.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(1685)
Reviews in English (1287)
It was absolutely delicious!Had the usual difficulty I always have reducing the ingredients to cook for one as I live on my own plus I added a few sliced up sun dried tomatoes cos I love them and then on top a little grated cheddar(cos its the law!). I will be making this again and again. Yum!-13 Feb 2012
Lovely quick n easy recipe..had it with crusty bread..-21 Feb 2013
Lovely recipe, halved the ingredients to make for 4 people and made plenty! Also had it with crusty bread. Definitely make it again!-03 Mar 2016