- Dish type
- Bean salad
This black bean salad is healthy, fresh and colourful, and includes a very tasty lime dressing. It's super easy to make, and perfect for picnics or packed lunches.
1418 people made this
- 5 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 8 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 2 (400g) tins black beans, rinsed and drained
- 250g (9 oz) frozen sweetcorn
- 1 avocado - peeled, stone removed and diced
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 6 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 20g chopped fresh coriander (optional)
MethodPrep:25min ›Ready in:25min
- Place lime juice, olive oil, garlic, salt and cayenne pepper in a small jar. Cover with lid, and shake until ingredients are well mixed.
- In a salad bowl, combine beans, corn, avocado, pepper, tomatoes, spring onions and coriander. Shake lime dressing again, and pour over the salad. Stir salad to coat vegetables and beans with dressing, and serve.
Black turtle beans, or simply 'black beans' for short, are especially common in Latin American cuisine. High in fibre and packed with nutrients, they're a healthy addition to any dish. If you can't find tinned black beans, use dried.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(1773)
Reviews in English (1272)
Altered ingredient amounts.Great bean salad! I added much more lime juice, more garlic, a bit more salt and reduced the oil. Also, to avoid "mushiness", I added the tomato and avacado very last, after mixing the dressing in with the other ingredients. I gave it one last toss just before serving to coat the avacado and tomato. Very good!-24 Jul 2008
Used different ingredients.This salad is so yummy and very versatile. The only changes to the actual salad we make are that we use finely diced red onion instead of the spring onion and add a bit more spice to the dressing. I’m not a fresh coriander fan by any means, but I think it’s vital to this salad. I just chop it very finely and use a little less. The only problem I have with this salad is that it doesn’t make the best leftovers. Definitely the best on the day it's made.-24 Jul 2008
This is the best cold bean salad recipe ever!! I made it this weekend for a birthday party and got rave reviews. Everyone wanted the recipe. I agree with other reviewers of this recipe....the coriander is key....dont omit....the flavours are incredible. a very "fresh" tasting salad. Will make over and over....perfect bbq side dish!-24 Jul 2008