- Dish type
- Pies and tarts
- Sweet pies and tarts
- Custard tart
Creamy custard tart for the whole family.
11 people made this
- 150g plain flour
- 25g caster sugar
- 125g butter, cubed
- 1 tbsp water
- 3 eggs
- 150ml single or double cream
- 150ml milk
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg (optional)
- punnet of strawberries (optional)
MethodPrep:40min ›Cook:1hr ›Extra time:1hr chilling › Ready in:2hr40min
- To make the pastry, place the flour and sugar in a large bowl and rub in the butter with your finger tips untill the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add water and mix together to form a soft dough. Wrap in cling film and leave to chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Roll out the dough on a lightly floured work surface to form a round, slightly larger than 24cm (9 1/2 inch) loose bottomed flat tin, then use to line the tin. Prick the dough with a fork and leave to chill for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 190 C / gas mark 5. Line the pastry case with foil and baking beans and then bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes.
- Remove foil and beans and bake for another 15 minutes.
- To make the filling whisk the eggs, cream, milk and nutmeg together. Pour the filling into the pastry case. return the tart to the oven and cook for 25-30 minutes until set. Serve hot or cold with strawberries.
You don;t need to use nutmeg if you don't want to - it's just for extra flavour!!!
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(1)
Reviews in English (1)
Loved this! It was so easy to make! And the pastry was fab, I tweaked it only adding 3 table spoons of sugar and a lot of vanilla extract with the seeds , gives it so much flavour complimenting the nutmeg! It set beautifully in the 20 minutes I cooked it , my second one curdled becuase i left it in for a longer 26 minutes. I would advise you not to take your mind off it!-19 Jul 2014